Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Ladybug

A few days ago when we arrived home from the park, I noticed a ladybug on Emily's jacket.

Me: Emily, look! A ladybug followed us home.
Em: Oooooh (as it crawled on her hand), can I take it in the house, Mama?

Of course.

So there she was, on the potty with the ladybug on her hand, giggling and talking to it. At the sink washing her hands with the ladybug right beside her. Brushing her teeth, ladybug on her hand once more. She went into her room and put the little bug on her bed.

Em: Can I nap with it, Mama?

Hmmmmm...I thought. I'm certain this bug will be squished if I don't give it some kind of protective armor.

So into the kitchen I went. I grabbed a cup, a few leaves from outside and placed the teensie weensie bug in the cup.

Me: Ok. Here you go. Remember, don't touch her. She's VERY tiny and you don't want to squish her.

2 hours later, Emily wakes up and happily skips downstairs to show me her ladybug in the cup.

Em: Look, Mama! The ladybug is still alive! I was really gentle. She put the bug in her hand and it kept falling out and landing on its back.

After a little bit, I noticed the bug was barely moving.

Me: Em, did you touch the ladybug during nap?

Em: Yes! I picked it up with my two fingers like this (while making a pinching motion).

Me: Hmmmm. Okay. Well, it looks like the ladybug's back legs are a little hurt, honey. It might be time to let the ladybug outside. Maybe she'll get better if she's outside with her friends.

Em: Is it dead or something?

Me: No. It's not dead, but it's kind of sick.

Emily's smile turned into a frown. She looked at me and tears started welling up in her eyes and her chin started to shiver. She sunk her head into my shoulder and literally sobbed. "But I don't want to let the ladybug go!!!!" I almost cried, too!

I finally convinced her it was the right thing to do, and told her there will be plenty more ladybugs to have later. So she went to the door, tears streaming down her face, and let the bug go. After the big goodbye, she told me she didn't want any more ladybugs as pets. I asked why and she said:

'Because they are too squishy! I'll just keep Jonas.'

Poor dog was trumped by a ladybug.






No comments: