Sunday, February 6, 2011

St. Lucia


In January, I had the opportunity to join my sister and mom on a trip to St. Lucia, one of the many beautiful Caribbean Islands. This trip was in celebration of my mom's recent retirement. Matt arranged childcare for Emily so I could tag along. I was so lucky to have had this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! I missed Matt and Emily like mad but I'm so glad I went. I came back home refreshed and ready to be a Mama and wife again.

Traveling to the tropics is perhaps the BEST way to unwind from the busy holiday season! We had an amazing time. Enjoy these pictures and captions from our trip...

After 12 hours of travel and one very long/windy/bumpy cab ride, we finally arrive in Marigot Bay, St. Lucia! See those houses on the hill? That's where we stayed...Oasis Marigot. This was not your traditional, glutenous, 5-star resort. And were we ever thankful!



Taking the luggage ferry across the water to our cottage

To get to the cottage, you can choose 156 steps or a trolley. My sister and I chose the steps...great workout every day! Ma's feet and knees aren't too kind to her, so she took the "bucket" as she called it. It was actually a peaceful ride up.

Even I rode the bucket a few times.

The view from our porch. Across the way is the "town" of Marigot. Every morning, I'd hike down the steps and take a 1-minute long ferry ride across the water to the grocery store, bank, coffee stand ($14 Eastern Carribean or $7 American for a latte!!), and shops. The ferry ran 24 hours a day. It was a very unique experience! Staying here allowed us to meet many locals. Most lived right up the hill in the village.


Dinner with Peggy and Bill the 2nd night at Doolittles Restaurant (below our cottage). Bill and Peggy own the timeshare in St. Lucia. Peggy is a cousin of my Aunt Dee (North Carolina)

On the third day, I booked all three of us a sailing trip to the Pitons. The Pitons are the symbols of St. Lucia - active volcanoes in the middle of the sea. This is the BEST way to see the landscape! It was a long day, but it was worth it.

In one of the volcano's craters. Those are sulfur baths you see. Smelled of rotten eggs!

After a quick crater visit, we walked through the local botanical gardens.









Dinner at the Rainforest Hideaway.
They made the most delicious duck I've ever had!

Below is a view from the end of the Nature Trail. It was about a 20-minute hike straight up. You were rewarded with amazing views of the bay.

The rest of the trip was for relaxation, swimming and sleeping. The only downfall I found of the region was its mosquitoes! I must have had 40 bites on my legs upon my return. They are so tiny, you can't even feel them bite you. Yuck!

The last night in St. Lucia, Michelle and I went to a local "jump up." This is St. Lucia's version of a block party, so to speak. Live music, fresh seafood and dancing in the streets. It was a great way to end the trip.
Delicious food, great views and many fond memories - that's St. Lucia in a nutshell.

































1 comment:

Emelie - C'est LA vie said...

Oh man. I'm not jealous... At all.