Tonight I saw a "Catholics Come Home" commercial on Seattle's local ABC channel. The commercial featured a man talking about his life, saying that he'd had some downfalls and stopped going to church on Sunday. Ultimately he said his life was missing something. And the concluding message was a shout out to Catholics to come "home" (back to church) if they've lost their way.
I was not offended by this commercial. I was aware of this commercial campaign, (I read about it a few months ago) but I was still surprised to see it on Saturday night primetime TV. But again, not offended at all.
I am not a "religious" person, but I do believe in a higher power of sorts. That power is yet to be named. Freedom of religion is a powerful thing and should be used as frequently as possible.
My question is...
If another religious-themed commercial aired, say one that supported Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics, etc., would you be offended?
4 comments:
Isn't that the stink tho? I had heard about some athiest billboard somewhere that really irked people. Here's what I say: don't be rude. Be supportive, invite, be positive, but don't bash anyone else. Period. I just don't think the "man upstairs" wants us making people mad or embarrassing them or shaming them in an effort to be religious. Amen!
Way to say, Angela. I agree. To each their own. I have a sneaking suspicion if an agnostic or atheist commercial popped on the airwaves, many people would be raging about it and you'd hear about it on the 6 p.m news. Kind of like that billboard. But perhaps many people were raging about this Catholic commercial. Who knows? Religion is an interesting subject - one that I wish could be talked about in a more calm, open-minded manner. Maybe some day!
I heard the Catholic Church is struggling, so that's probably why they feel the need to advertise. And though I see your point about openness, western civilization IS based on Christian values and so, as a society, we're bound to be more open to ads about Catholicism than say Islam or Hinduism.
(Being the daughter of a Northern Irish Protestant, I guess religious debates gets me going... ;) And on (another?) note; Happy Saint Paddy's day!! :)
Emelie, thank you for chiming in! Religious (and political) debates get everyone going! I'm certainly in the minority by not claiming a religion as my own. Western civilization was indeed based and was founded upon Christian beliefs, and I do think that is part of the reason other religions are not accepted as freely. But it doesn't make it right. "It's the way we've always done it" is a very close-minded, as well as limited, train of thought. I don't understand how it's so difficult for humans to embrace the evolution of religion and all religions equally. You have your belief; it makes you happy. Great! Who cares what others think? Why can't it end there? It certainly would end much of the hostility and war around the world. Ahhhh, but I guess I'm wishing on a rainbow there! And on that note...Happy St. Patty's Day to you, friend!
Post a Comment