Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hello? Teeth? Are you there? It's Emily Calling.

(Out of the mouths of babes? Emily "toothless" Mullet's motto: Into the mouths of babes.)


Sweet, sweet Em. She always keeps us on our toes! The child goes against the grain with almost everything she does or doesn't do - and she's always has been this way.
Her independent little personality is so refreshing to watch.

Most babies/toddlers? They are pretty predictable when it comes to developmental milestones. I never dare to compare, but I do notice most follow a pretty typical timeline.

Emily? She throws textbook out the door, dances to her own tune and pushes the milestone envelope a bit.
Mark my words, this girl is gonna grow to be anything but a typical, boring human.

Em is far advanced when it comes to language skills. For months she used sign language and now this kid can talk! She has so many freaking words now and she speaks in 3-word sentences fairly often to boot. I'm amazed at how smart she is. (thank you for those brains, Papa.) And sleeping and eating? Well, she'd happily do both at the same time if she could. Amazing eater. Amazing sleeper. (I'll thank myself on this one.)

But when it comes to physical development - this child is in no hurry at all. She definitely was on the late side of crawling and walking - did it when she was damn well ready to. But never in a zillion million years would I have thought she'd delay getting teeth, too. Again, totally against the grain. She currently has zero teeth. So here we are again wondering, "when will it happen?"

I took my little toothless wonder into a pediatric dentist today for a quick checkup just to see if toofers even existed. Wonderful, wonderful office and staff. The dentist was amazing with Em. After only a few tears shed, Em warmed up to her and happily let her look inside her mouth. We found out the teeth are definitely there, (WHEW!) but when they'll pop out, the dentist was unsure.

So for now, my little girl will continue to have her signature gummy smile and will continue to do things at her own pace, and put EVERYTHING in her mouth. And when that first tooth comes in, I'm calling the tooth fairy and we are having a party!





2 comments:

Family of Four said...

Christi, I'm so glad that it's nothing to worry about. Good news. I have to say Mya's sweet little gummie grin went away too fast, so it's nice to know you will enjoy it a bit longer!

angelalois said...

You SHOULD throw a tooth party! My gosh that would be so fun. :-) Good luck getting there....