Monday, June 21, 2010

Introduction to Potty Training...


"Ewww."
"Crap."

Yup.

That about sums up my feelings toward potty training. There's just something about pee drizzling down a person's leg that gives me the heebee jeebies.

You'd think after giving birth to a child my skin would be pretty thick to urine, poo and things of the like on me, the floor and carpet. Uhhhhhmmm, big no on that one.
I still get the wigglies when I have to clean up other people's/furry things' stinkies.

If only house-breaking humans would be as simple as house-breaking a dog.
This, my friends, is yet another reason why a dog is - and will forever be - man's best friend.

There is nothing cool about potty training; however, Emily's now 2 and it's about time to seriously start this PT business.
It's a mess, a time sucker and the bribes are seemingly endless.

But hey, it forces me to sit down with Emily multiple times a day to read books, and that ain't half bad. Speaking of books - there are a gazillion books you can read on "how to do it right", all of which say if you start too early or do one little thing wrong, then you're screwed. It's a lot of pressure, people!

We started the intro process a few months ago and she's gone a few times in the pot, but now it's officially ON!
First major step was creating a new house rule: "When in the house, wear big girl underwear."

I knew this was going to instigate some messy business, so I was VERY hesitant. But alas, it has to be done.

So, now....here we are. A week later.

We've had several rounds of pee on the floor and only one round in the pot.
We sit on the potty every 30 minutes or so when we're home.

Just look at this thing. Here's our potty #2. All smiley and gay. Who wouldn't want to pee and poop in that thing? It's the only thing in my life I've seen that looks like it's actually saying, "Hey! Come pee on me!"
It even plays music when you go - a feature I wish all potties had.


I've offered chocolate, ice cream, jelly beans, new books, presents...you name it! I can tell she really wants to go to get those things, but she has to learn how to let it flow. I guess this is where the word "training" comes in. You gotta train 'em on how the bladder/body works. Once she gets that, it should be smoother sailing.

For now, patience and laughter is key. Afterall, she's just over 2. My goal is before 3, so we've got some time. Just gotta keep at it.

"I think I can, I think I can."








No comments: